Joyce Thom and Rick Moorehead are senior students of Damo Mitchell, the founder of the Lotus Nei Gong International School of Daoist Arts. They co-lead the Lotus Nei Gong San Francisco Bay Area branch. The Foundation courses follow the curriculum established by Lotus Nei Gong which is dedicated to the preservation of the Daoist classical system of transformative internal arts.
The San Francisco Bay Area branch offers 3 or 4-day seminars four times a year (roughly one each season) and hosts courses offered by Damo Mitchell . Over the course of three to four years, we will cover the entire Lotus Nei Gong Level 1 curriculum. The Qi Gong practices within the syllabus are designed to guide people through the Nei Gong process in a systematic way. The goal is not the practices themselves, but the progress and changes that occur as a consequence of doing the practices. Each seminar will cover the foundational principles as well as build on previous courses. This allows new students to get up to speed while advanced students refine core skills.
The program is structured as a multi-year rolling curriculum enabling students to begin their journey with us at any point along the way. Although students are not required to attend every course, consistency in practice and participation will lead to the best results.
Unlike many QiGong classes which focus on relaxation and gentle movements to improve health, the focus of the Lotus Nei Gong system is the step-by-step process of internal transformation. The process moves through restructuring the physical body, developing the energy system, and then the refining the mind. Although work is done on all levels from the beginning, the early stages of the Lotus Nei Gong curriculum emphasize structure and body mechanics as the foundation for advanced study with the Qi (energy) and Shen (spirit).
The curriculum takes students methodically through the exercises and practices necessary to develop the skills required for progression in the internal arts. It can be quite hard work, but it is also deeply rewarding (and often quite fun too.) The people who tend to find this training most valuable are adventurous, dedicated, curious, and deeply interested in internal transformation as well as spiritual growth.
2020 Core Syllabus Courses
- Dragon Dao Yins: January 17-20, 2020 from 9:30AM-5:00PM in the San Francisco East Bay. Tuition: $500
- The Dragon Dao Yins are based on BaGua Zhang training exercises. Within the Lotus Nei Gong curriculum, they are used to lead and guide the Qi to clear out the energy system, open the energy gates, release emotional stagnation and awaken the energy of the spine. They are also designed to gently pull open the joints and realign the bones to prevent illness and improve health.
- Building Connectivity & Conductivity with Ji Ben Qi Gong (fundamental exercises) : Postponed from 9:30AM-5:00PM in the San Francisco East Bay. Tuition: $375
- For new students, Ji Ben Qi Gong offer a great entry point for your Nei Gong journey because they are designed to help a person restructure their form, move correctly, and learn how to sink their Qi through relaxation which are critical for advanced internal practices. For experienced students, this work will deepen the Nei Gong process by building key lines and interconnection in the wetsuit as well as helping to unify the body, breath, and awareness in order to circulate Qi through key internal pathways in the body.
- Nei Gong Foundations: Ongoing Saturdays from 8:15AM-10AM Pacific Time via Zoom video conferencing. New folks are welcome to join at any class. Tuition: $20/class Please send an email to LNG.SFBay@gmail.com to let us know which dates you would like to attend and payment via paypal to the same email address
To Register for Multiday courses:
- Send an email to LNG.SFBay@gmail.com with your name, email address, and the course name/date. If paying by check, let us know so we can send you the mailing address.
- To reserve your space in a course, please send $100 deposit. Once we receive the $100 deposit (or full payment) for the course, we will confirm your registration.
- Full payment is due 3 weeks in advance of the start of the course
- Payment in cash or check is preferred. We also accept credit cards.
- To pay by check, please let us know that you intend to pay by check in your registration email and we will provide the mailing address details.
- To pay by credit card or PayPal, use the button below. If you do not have a PayPal account, you can still make a secure payment using any major credit card. On the next screen enter the amount you are sending and click “Continue.” On the following screen, scroll down and click “Pay with Debit or Credit Card” to enter your details.
- Cancellations: For cancellations made more than 3 weeks before the course (Feb 21 for the March course and May 22 for the June course), you will receive a full refund less a $50 administrative fee. For cancellations made less than 3 weeks prior to a course, no refunds are provided.
Disclaimer: The Nei Gong process taught by Damo Mitchell and Lotus Nei Gong is a classical process and is, at times, very strong. For this reason we do not advise anybody with psychological disorders or those with serious medical issues/needs to attend these events. There are many ‘medical’ Qi Gong schools out there that would be more appropriate for these kinds of needs. Nei Gong is also not suitable for pregnant women or anybody under the age of 18 years old. Lastly we reserve the right to ask any student to leave the training immediately if we deem the training to be unsuitable for them or a risk to their well-being. If any student attends a course such as this with known psychological disorders or medical issues that may put them at risk, they take full responsibility for their actions and any outcomes. Lotus Nei Gong International nor its staff will not be held accountable in such instances.